A Cheesy, Creamy, Kid-Friendly Meal
Skillet Macaroni and Cheese. Turning to easy recipes that require minimal cooking time can help your loved ones take the stress out of busy back-to-school evenings while increasing the opportunities for sharing family moments together. (Family Features)
Skip the long cook times of complicated dishes and instead turn to an option like this Skillet Macaroni and Cheese, a kid-friendly and parent-approved meal to turn hectic school nights into happy time with family.
With a slight twist on the childhood classic, this version calls for the chicken to add protein along with spinach and cherry tomatoes for increased veggie intake. Plus, it’s made with milk and cheese as part of an important daily intake of dairy, an irreplaceable part of a balanced diet as a source of essential nutrients.
Visit milkmeansmore.org to find more kid-friendly meals.
Watch video to see how to make this recipe!
Skillet Macaroni and Cheese
Recipe courtesy of Katie Serbinski of “Mom to Mom Nutrition” on behalf of Milk Means More
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup dried elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 package (5 ounces) semisoft cheese with garlic and fine herbs
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup quartered cherry tomatoes
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain.
- Heat large skillet over medium-high heat. Add olive oil, chicken, and onion. Cook 6-8 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in semisoft cheese. Gradually add milk and flour. Continue stirring and cooking until the mixture is thickened and bubbly.
- Reduce heat to low. Add hot sauce, cheddar cheese, and cooked macaroni. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes until cheese is melted. Stir in spinach.
- Top with cherry tomatoes and serve.
United Dairy of Michigan
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?