Vegetarian stuffed peppers are one of the easiest ways to increase the flavor and texture of your family’s favorite dishes is to add cheese. From fish and seafood to veggie-inspired recipes, the dairy treat offers a versatile, flavorful ingredient.
Vegetarian Stuffed Peppers
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: about 1 hour
- 4 red bell peppers
- 1/2 cup, plus 1 tablespoon, vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup white onion (about 1 medium), 1/4-inch diced
- 4 cups cremini or brown mushrooms (about 1 pound), 1/4-inch diced
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup Real California Oaxaca cheese, shredded
- cooked white rice, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Rub bell peppers with 1 tablespoon oil then use the grill, broiler, or gas stovetop burner to cook peppers, turning occasionally, until well charred, 12-15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, cover, and set aside until cool enough to handle about 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the remaining oil. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to brown, 3-5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic salt, and black pepper; cook, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are browned and liquid is almost entirely evaporated 7-10 minutes.
- Rub charred skin from bell peppers. Slice off tops and remove seeds. Fill bell peppers with mushroom mixture, top with cheese and arrange in baking dish. Replace bell pepper tops and bake until cheese melts, 8-10 minutes. Serve with cooked rice.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?