A Show-Stopping Dessert
With its dramatic presentation, this freshly baked cake and ice cream-based dessert can impress guests at your next gathering.
Find more dessert recipes perfect for entertaining at Culinary.net.
Recipe adapted from Milk Means More
- 1/2 cup, plus 6 tablespoons, all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup, plus 2/3 cup, granulated sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 quarts ice cream, any flavor
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 350° F.
- In large bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, 1 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make well in center of dry ingredients. Add milk, canola oil and eggs. Whisk until blended. Beat batter until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Pour batter into 9-inch, round, greased cakepan. Bake 25-28 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze 1 hour.
- In glass bowl, spray with nonstick cooking spray. Layer inside of bowl with plastic wrap, draping some over edges of bowl.
- Scoop ice cream into bowl until full. Level ice cream. Place overhang of plastic wrap over ice cream. Freeze 2 hours.
- Unwrap cake and place on plate. Unwrap ice cream and place on top of cake. Wrap both together and freeze 2 hours.
- In medium bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until frothy. Add remaining sugar and vanilla extract; beat mixture to form stiff peaks.
- Heat oven to 500° F.
- Unwrap stacked cake. Place on oven-safe plate. Spread meringue, creating swirl motions around cake. Bake 2-4 minutes until meringue peaks are brown and remaining meringue takes on dry appearance.
- Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and place in freezer.
Originally posted on May 15, 2019 @ 1:52 am