Add Mexican Flair to Game Day Favorites
(Family Features) Football season, for many people, is just as much about the food as it is about the action. No matter who’s playing and whether you’re at a tailgate or living room watch party, one thing is for sure: football and flavor go hand-in-hand.
When you’re huddling up to figure out how to score a touchdown with your game day spread, consider taking your snacks to the next level by adding an authentic Mexican flair. Opt for traditional Mexican ingredients like chorizo, queso fresco or cotija in meals and snacks that are already football mainstays, including nachos, tacos and quesadillas, and consider all the possibilities that incorporating these flavorful ingredients can add to other classic dishes like sliders and potato skins.
Ideal for tailgate season, Cacique, one of the country’s top Mexican food brands, offers Mexican-Style Queso Dips – made with real queso fresco and available in Queso Blanco, Southwestern, Jalapeño and Chipotle flavors – and Fully Cooked Chorizos – made with authentically seasoned premium pork shoulder and available in classic, Chorizo with Bacon & Potato, Chorizo with Eggs and Chorizo with Queso varieties – to help fans easily add Mexican flavor to indulgent game day favorites. Both use high-quality ingredients and are microwavable, so they taste authentic and can be ready in minutes so no one misses any of the big plays or touchdowns.
Consider these twists you can add to your favorite game time snacks:
- Loaded Avocados: Give avocados the potato skin treatment by loading them up with delicious toppings like chorizo, queso fresco and crema – just don’t eat the skin.
- Cheese Fries: Drizzle queso dip over French fries or top with crumbles of flavorful Cacique Chorizo and Cotija in a recipe like these Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Chorizo and Cotija.
- Robust Sliders: Skip regular beef patties and spoon the rich seasoning and punch of flavor that chorizo brings to your favorite slider rolls then top with your favorite cheese and salsa.
- Mac and Cheese: For a new take on mac and cheese, toss cooked macaroni noodles with your favorite Cacique Queso Dip and top with crushed tortilla chips in a recipe like this Southwestern Mac and Queso.
Discover more ways to incorporate Mexican flair into your game day spread at caciqueinc.com .
Baked Sweet Potato Fries with Chorizo and Cotija
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch wide sticks
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 package Cacique Fully Cooked Chorizo
- 1 cup Cacique Cotija, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oven to 400° F and lightly grease large, rimmed baking sheet.
- In large bowl, toss sweet potato sticks with olive oil.
- Lay fries in single layer on prepared baking sheet and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Bake 15-18 minutes, shaking pan several times, until tender and lightly browned.
- When fries are almost done baking, microwave chorizo 3-4 minutes.
- To serve, place golden brown fries on serving platter and spoon chorizo over top. Sprinkle with cotija and fresh cilantro.
Southwestern Mac and Queso
- 1 package Cacique Queso Dip
- 1 box macaroni, cooked according to package instructions
- 1/4 cup Cacique Queso Fresco, crumbled
- 1/2 cup tortilla chips, crushed
- Microwave queso dip 2-3 minutes; stir. Pour over cooked macaroni and toss until thoroughly coated.
- Sprinkle crumbled queso fresco and crushed tortilla chips over macaroni before serving.