Red Beans and Rice – Creole-Style Spicy Red Beans & Rice Recipe
Enjoy this true american dish, Red Beans and Rice.
- 1 ½ pound dried red beans (preferably New Orleans Camellia brand)
- 1 pound Andouille sausage, sliced 1/2-inch thick (smoked sausage can also be used)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 1 large rib celery, finely diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- ¾ teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bunch fresh green onions, chopped
- Cooked white long-grain rice, for serving
- In a large bowl, cover beans in water and soak for at least 4 hours or overnight. (Water should cover beans by at least an inch.)
- In a large, heavy pot, brown sausage in 1 tablespoon of oil until slightly crisp. Add remaining oil, then the garlic and onions. Sauté over medium heat until onions become transparent and limp. Add celery and bell pepper and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Pour soaked beans and water into the pot and bring to a simmer. Add black pepper, cayenne, salt, and all herbs except parsley.
- Cook until beans are softened, about 11/2 to 2 hours. Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Fifteen minutes before serving, remove 1 cup of beans to a bowl and, using a fork, mash them and stir back into the pot to enhance the creamy texture of the dish. Add parsley and green onions. Simmer about 15 minutes, taste and adjust seasoning, and add up to 1 cup more water if beans seem too thick. Remove bay leaves. Serve over white long-grain rice.
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?