Protein-Packed Salad can fill an empty stomach for nearly any purpose, from an al fresco snack to a family appetizer. When combined with protein like chicken, a salad can become a full, nutritious meal all on its own.
If you’re looking for a way to take your salad from snack or side to a savory main course, consider this High-Protein Chicken, Onion and Quinoa Salad with its own handmade dressing. Ready in less than 30 minutes, it calls for a handful of everyday ingredients including sauteed onions as a key ingredient for added flavor.
In fact, onions can be called nature’s ninja because of their many “skills.” Onions add abundant flavor to a wide variety of foods with just 45 calories per serving as a source of dietary fiber, vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium and other key nutrients such as folate, calcium and iron. They are also rich in heart-healthy nutrients and have been shown to help prevent some cancers.
Visit onions-usa.org for more recipe ideas.
High-Protein Chicken, Onion, and Quinoa Salad
Recipe courtesy of the National Onion Association
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 cups red quinoa, rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 3 cups baby kale
- 1 red skinned apple, chopped
- 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- To make dressing: In bowl, whisk vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice, honey and Dijon mustard until well combined. Set aside.
- In saucepan, bring quinoa and broth to boil. Simmer, covered, 12-15 minutes, or until broth has been absorbed. Cool completely.
- In medium skillet, heat canola oil over medium-high heat. Saute onion 3-5 minutes, or until softened and translucent. Remove from heat; cool completely.
- In large bowl, toss onion, kale, apple, chicken, salt and pepper with dressing. Stir in cooled quinoa.
Nutritional information per serving: 407 calories, 36.5 g protein, 11.6 g fat, 39 g carbohydrates, 297 mg sodium, 4.2 g fiber.
National Onion Association
Life with Pets Evolved During the Pandemic
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?