ARDELLES Smashed Cucumber and Grape Salad
Smashed Cucumber and Grape Salad. According to an IFIC Food and Health Survey, consumers are looking more and more to foods for health benefits, with cardiovascular health topping the list as the leading benefit sought. Grapes of all colors – red, green, and black – are a natural source of beneficial antioxidants and other polyphenols. Plus, they are naturally fat-free, cholesterol-free, and low in sodium. Pairing heart-healthy grapes with other healthy ingredients – including fish, legumes, whole grains and vegetables – offers a vast array of options for nutritious make-at-home dishes.
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 1/4 pounds English or Persian cucumbers, ends trimmed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1-2 teaspoons chili oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup halved California grapes
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- Using rolling pin, smash whole cucumbers lightly, just enough to break open. Tear or cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces and season with salt. Transfer to sieve and let drain 10 minutes.
- In large bowl, whisk vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, chili oil and sesame oil; stir in grapes and scallions. When cucumbers finish draining, add to bowl with grape mixture and stir to combine.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.