Blended Mushroom Nachos.
Chefs kicked off the mushroom Blended Mushroom Nachos & burger trend by growing finely chopped mushrooms and blending them with meat for burgers that are juicy, healthy, and Earth-friendly. Now, blended burgers are showing up in microwaves in cafeterias, fast food drive-through windows.
A Cooking Technique You Need to Know: Blending
Blending involves mixing finely chopped mushrooms with ground meat for more nutritious, but still delicious, burgers, tacos, meatballs, and more.
1. Chop your favorite mushroom variety to match the consistency of the ground meat. This can be done with a knife or food processor.
2. Blend the chopped mushrooms with the ground meat.
3. Cook with Mexican seasoning mix for tacos, marinara sauce for meaty ragu, or salt and pepper for juicy, flavorful burgers.
Blended Mushroom Nachos
Recipe courtesy of Chef Evan Robinson
- 5 shiitake mushrooms
- 5 white button mushrooms
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon Mexican meat seasoning
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups Mexican blend shredded cheese
- tortilla chips
- salsa (optional)
- guacamole (optional)
- kale (optional)
- romaine lettuce (optional)
- tomatoes (optional)
- cilantro (optional)
- diced red bell peppers (optional)
- In blender or food processor, pulse mushrooms, garlic and onions. In large saute pan over medium-high heat, mix finely chopped mushroom mixture with seasoning and cook 2 minutes. Add ground turkey, breaking into fine crumbles until completely cooked through. Set aside.
- To make cheese sauce: In medium saucepan over medium-high heat, melt butter then add flour and whisk constantly, breaking up lumps. Stir 2 minutes then add milk and continuously whisk. Stir in cheese and mix with wooden spoon.
- Assemble chips on serving platter; spread mushroom-meat crumble on top. Add cheese sauce and toppings like salsa, guacamole, kale, romaine lettuce, tomatoes, cilantro and diced red bell peppers, if desired.